WSCAH’s Healthy Foods Holiday Challenge has ended. Thanks to the generous support of our generous community of donors and volunteers, WSCAH served 30% more families than last November, providing 15,000 healthy food packages including a turkey, pork shoulder, or voucher for our vegetarian/vegan customers.
You can still support food insecure New Yorker’s this holiday season by donating or volunteering today.
Give the gift of a Happy Holiday
The November holiday season is a time for gratitude, family, and giving back to our community. Sadly, not everyone has the means to enjoy a traditional healthy holiday meal. Together, we can change that. For over a decade, with the help of our generous community of donors and volunteers, West Side Campaign Against Hunger (WSCAH), has provided our customers with turkeys and healthy holiday foods throughout November.
Last year, the Healthy Foods Holiday Challenge (formerly known as the Turkey Challenge), provided over 11,000 families with turkeys and holiday food packages. This year, we’re pleased to announce that, in response to feedback from the communities we serve, we are adding pork shoulder as an option, as well as cash vouchers for our vegetarian customers to purchase their favorite festive foods at their local supermarket.
Families served this November
At WSCAH, we believe that every New Yorker should have access to healthy foods and the opportunity to gather their family for a delicious holiday dinner. Your donation can make that dream a reality for families who are struggling to put food on their table this holiday season. A donation of just $75 provides a family with healthy groceries containing 50% fresh produce, and a centerpiece food item, such as a turkey, for a holiday meal.
This year, with food insecurity in NYC at all-time highs, we have increased our goal. In November we aim to provide 13,000 holiday food packages including a turkey, pork shoulder, or voucher, and other special holiday foods. With your help, we can reach this milestone and make this holiday season memorable for every WSCAH customer.
Demand this November has exceeded all expectations – WSCAH is serving between 700 and 800 families daily at our 86th Street location alone – we now expect to serve 15,000 families this month.
Ways to Donate:
One-time Donation: Your one-time donation will help us purchase turkeys and other special holiday foods for families in need. Every contribution counts, no matter the amount.
Recurring Donation: Consider setting up a monthly donation to support our ongoing efforts to ensure healthy food access not just during the holidays, but year-round.
Other Ways to Help:
If you can’t contribute financially, there are still plenty of ways to support the Healthy Foods Holiday Challenge:
- Start a Healthy Foods Holiday Challenge Fundraiser: It’s quick and easy, you can create your fundraising page here. Our toolkit includes sample emails, social media posts, and other resources to help make your fundraiser a success.
- Spread the Word: Share the Healthy Foods Holiday Challenge with your friends and family on social media or through email.
- Join our Community Coalition: The Community Coalition provides vital support in spreading the word and encouraging donations for the Healthy Foods Holiday Challenge. Download our Community Coalition overview here to sign up and learn more.
- Become a Sponsor: You can learn more about our sponsorship structure here.
- Volunteer: Join us in distributing healthy foods to WSCAH customers. You can see available volunteer shifts here.
- Donate Non-Perishable Items: We also accept donations of canned goods and other non-perishable items to complement the holiday food packages. A complete list of accepted foods can be found here.
Your generous support will bring smiles and nourishment to families across NYC.
Thank you for helping us ensure that every New Yorker who chooses to come to WSCAH can access healthy food. Together, we can make this holiday season a special and heartwarming occasion for the WSCAH community.
WSCAH’s Healthy Foods Holiday Challenge is generously supported by our sponsors and our dedicated Community Coalition.
Coalition members play a vital role in spreading the word about the Healthy Foods Holiday Challenge and helping us ensure healthy food access for all our customers this holiday season.
Don’t see your organization represented here? You can join our Community Coalition by completing this brief google form. You can also email any questions to Kira Garfinkel, Development Manager, at [email protected].