Learn how you can get involved and help other people change their lives.
Volunteering at WSCAH
WSCAH partners with New York Cares, a leader in providing volunteer opportunities in the NYC area. We are always seeking committed and passionate volunteers.
Volunteers support WSCAH by unloading deliveries, packing food, setting up, and helping to distribute healthy food to our customers.
Last year, WSCAH volunteers generously donated over 19,000 hours of their time, helping us serve over 80,000 New Yorkers.
WSCAH offers individual volunteer opportunities at our 86th Street Distribution Center and 180th Street Warehouse and Distribution Hub. Volunteers must be 18 or older. You can sign up at www.newyorkcares.org. We also have special volunteer needs for customer check-in. More details can be found below.
Volunteer for Customer Check-in:
In order to support our direct customer distributions, we are in need of dedicated volunteers to assist with on-site registration. We are looking for volunteers who are able to commit to an 8:45 a.m. – 1 p.m. volunteer shift, Tuesday – Friday. If you are interested in learning more about this volunteer opportunity please email [email protected].
- Welcome customers picking up food from WSCAH’s pantry and provide excellent customer service
- Use the organization’s Salesforce database to log customer visits during the 86th Street distribution
- Verify customer information is current and make edits within the database, as needed.
- Assist with registering first-time customers and entering relevant data into Salesforce
- Ensure that customers understand and adhere to the pantry’s rules regarding frequency of pickup. Report anyone not in compliance to appropriate WSCAH Staff
- Ability to communicate with customers of diverse backgrounds.
- Comfortability with using a laptop computer.
- Ability to comfortably read printed text on identifications or other documents provided by customers
- Ability to communicate in English and Spanish is strongly preferred, but not required
WSCAH offers a variety of group volunteer opportunities. Group volunteering at WSCAH is a meaningful opportunity for your service day or team-building event.
WSCAH accepts groups on a rolling case-by-case basis and has availability Mondays-Friday from 7 am to 1 pm. To set up your event, contact [email protected].