Due to COVID-19, we are not accepting any donations of food or clothing. Our Clothing Closet is closed until further notice.
In addition to cash donations, we accept donations of food and clothing. Bear in mind that because we buy wholesale, our dollars go three times further than yours when purchasing for the pantry. Folded, laundered, lightly-used clothing can be brought to us Monday through Friday from 8:00am – 4:00pm and are greatly appreciated by our customers. If you would like to receive by mail a tax acknowledgment of your donation, make sure to include a list of your donated items along with your mailing address and a contact number or email address in case there are questions. Acknowledgments for non-cash donations are written by volunteers and may take time. If the volunteers do not receive a legible list of the donation with your contact information, they cannot write an acknowledgment.
We request that donations of food, whether from individuals or food drives, are the kind of healthy, nutritional choices that we have available in our pantry. We do not distribute high-salt or high-sugar prepared foods, including sugary cereals, most canned soups and boxed or canned prepared foods, such as macaroni and cheese, meat stews or beefaroni-like products. Food drives for West Side Campaign Against Hunger can be an opportunity for a class or family to learn more about healthy food.
A healthy food drive includes:
- Dried beans
- Canned beans, low sodium
- Brown or white rice
- Pasta, especially whole grain
- Hot cereal (Oatmeal, Cream of wheat, Grits)
- Cold cereal (Bran flakes, Cheerios, other low-sugar, high-fiber option)
- Crackers, low sodium, high-fiber
- Bread, 100% whole wheat
- Canned fruit, packed in juice or water
- Applesauce, no sugar added
- Dried fruit, no sugar added
- Canned vegetables, low sodium
- Spaghetti sauce, low sodium
- Salsa, low sodium
- Canned chicken, low sodium in water
- Canned fish, packed in water (Tuna, Salmon, Mackerel, Sardines)
- Milk, boxed or shelf stable, low fat
- Milk, powdered, low fat
- Milk, evaporated, low fat
- Bottled water and other low-sugar beverages
- Tea and coffee
DO: Give generously. Give foods you would serve to your family.
DON’T: Give anything expired, open, or damaged. Give something you wouldn’t eat.