Every year, West Side Campaign Against Hunger launches the Thousand Turkey Challenge. Together, with our committed Community Coalition members, we mobilize individuals and families across New York City to help us raise money and collect frozen turkeys to ensure families have access to Thanksgiving holiday food.
Last year was a massive success — we provided turkeys for over 2,000 families and raised almost $140,000! We hope you join us as as we celebrate our 40th anniversary and help us make it the most successful Turkey Challenge yet!
Turkey Challenge 2019 Goals
- Connect 2,500 families to Thanksgiving holiday meals and distribute throughout the month of November
- Raise $150,000 to provide a large variety of choice for Thanksgiving holiday fixings
- Bring a Turkey (Monday, November 25 from 9am – 8pm; Tuesday, November 26 from 9am – 8pm; Wednesday, November 27 from 9am – 1pm)
- Text a Turkey (text TURKEY to 56512)
- More than 1 in 8 Americans struggle with hunger.
- That’s 42.2 million people, including 13.1 million children and 5.7 million seniors.
- 20% of kids in the U.S. live in poverty.
- Food insecure seniors are 40% more likely to experience congestive heart failure.
- 15% of rural households in the U.S. are food insecure.
Food insecurity is defined by the USDA as a lack of access at all times to enough food for an active, healthy life.
Hunger statistics from thisishunger.org – a conversation led by MAZON: A Jewish Response to Hunger
The Thousand Turkey Challenge Community Coalition
- Congregation Ansche Chesed
- Congregation B’nai Jeshurun
- The Calhoun School
- The Center School
- Church of St. Paul and St. Andrew
- Collegiate School
- Columbia Grammar & Preparatory School
- Doing Good Together
- Congregation Habonim
- Heschel School
- Little Red School House/Elisabeth Irwin High School
- Manhattan School of Music
- Marlene Meyerson JCC Manhattan
- Marble Collegiate Church
- MS54 Parent Teacher Association – Booker T. Middle School
- Muslim Jewish Solidarity Committee
- Parent Association of PS 9
- Pickle Hospitality
- PS 87 Community Service Group
- Congregation Rodeph Sholom
- Schechter Manhattan
- Trinity School
- West End Synagogue